Couple of evenings on the swan

2 months 15 hours ago #53223 by Joel Tinetti
Nearly this time of year again...

Some people go to church and think about fishing, I go fishing and think about God (sometimes)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #52975 by Joel Tinetti
Going on that one trip, no. The silver raider caught as many fish, though it caught tailor not herring. But there are plenty of other factors involved there.

The gold is just my go to so can't say I've done much testing.

Joel

Some people go to church and think about fishing, I go fishing and think about God (sometimes)

11 months 2 weeks ago #52974 by Brett Flugge
Sounds like a couple of great sessions there Joel.

Do you find the gold twisty lures out fish the silver chrome?

11 months 2 weeks ago #52973 by Joel Tinetti
Mrs Tinyetti took little yetti and furry yetti for a quick trip to her parents place out of town this week leaving me free to fish both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
Having not yet explored my local patch in almost a year of owning a yak, Tuesday was devoted to recon from fishmarket reserve up to Woodbridge park. It was a really enjoyable couple of hours on the water with a fantastic sunset and full moon rise over a glassed off river. I only caught two small bream, but now have a better idea of all the ground to explore up here.
With a full moon and no wind I got caned by mozzie and headed home about 830.
Put the car in the garage, locked the kayak on to the roof and left everything ready to go.
Wednesday was a lower wind forecast so I went straight from work to the river. I launched about 330 into a moderate breeze. I was all about Giant Herring on this trip.
The main area I have been shown is a decent peddle from the launch spot so I fished along the way, but didn't waste much time.
Throwing my favourite 15gm gold twistie on 8lb braid 10lb leader is such a joy on a warm summer arvo.
I got one follow from a tailor along the way but it was fairly uneventful until I got to 'the spot.' I had only just started concentrating my efforts when I saw the shoulders and dorsal fin on a GH break the surface among some tiny fleeing baitfish. When I say tiny, these were around 2cm which says something about choice of lure despite the size of the herring.
First cast was a brief hookup. I would guess foul hooked as I could see the fish flailing below the surface, but not responding how they usually do on hookup. It threw the hook a few seconds later.
Next hookup my reel screamed and the fish launched about 10degrees to the right of where the line was going in to the water and threw the hooks. These were good size fish, not monsters even by swan River standards, but certainly in the 50+ bracket.
This was repeated a couple more times before I got a solid hook set and the fish came to the yak surprisingly quickly.
That is always a worry as it usually ends with the fish jumping over the kayak and throwing the lure at your face or something equally catastrophic.
This o e however I netted and lifted into the yak and it became obvious why. The hooks had stuck in one of its gill rakers, which was now out of its mouth. :-0 Resigned to the fact that I might be turning it into bait or berly, I figured I would at least get a good picture. As soon as I got the camera out it went berserk, luckily threw the hooks, and went overboard. I waited a couple of minutes expecting it to float but it didn't.
It didn't take long to relocate them. Another solid hookup blistering fight and a few minutes later I was reaching around for the net and the fish launched another jump. With the very close quarters and only 10lb leader my best efforts to react and drop the rod tip etc didn't work and the leader popped. My loyal gold twistie which has caught a bucket load of fish in its 2 years or so of service was gone.
It was at that point that I decided I should up the leader strength.
I'm not sure if it was the thicker leader, the different lure or just that the fish had spooked but I couldnt raise another fish for a couple of hours. I tried a micro jig (cast and retrieved like a slice I have had success on tailor before) a sinking stickbait, an unbranded baitfish profile metal and finally a 40gm raider metal.
My next fish was hooked around 615pm just as I was considering pulling the pin, Well before sunset, but already feeling successful and tired. This fish was clearly smaller and I quickly realised that it was a tailor not a GH. Still, at close to the 50cm mark, it was a respectable tailor, especially out of the river.
I pottered around for a bit and got 3 more in the 35-45 range and then another of about 30 when I was half way back to the launch area.
I thought about taking a sunset pic or two, but I knew my phone battery was all but dead so I didn't dare fire it up.
As I was daydreaming about how well the afternoon had gone and thinking about how cool it would be to get one more in the small area close to the launch that I have been told holds fish...

Zzzzzzzzzz
Ha ha! Couldn't have planned it better!
That sound of a small reel being unloaded at high speed is just glorious. Add in the sight of possibly the biggest herring of the day taking to the air backed by a sunset sky and it doesn't get much better.
After a couple of runs the fish settled I to slugging it out and we did a dozen circles in the closing dance. When I finally spotted it through the dark water, I realised why I couldn't move it. It was hooked about 1/3 of the way along its shoulder.
I hoped my phone would have enough juice for a pic of it in the water but alas, it lit up and then died.
I guess I'll have to endure 'pictures or it didn't happen' barbs, but whatever, I know it was freaking awesome.
While I was stuffing around with the camera it made one more charge
Around my rudder!
While I was trying to get that off it did a full lap of the yak and therefore caught my mirage as well! The line came free of my rudder and I started working on the mirage. I only gave it 30 seconds or so before resorting to pulling the drive out, which got the line free, but it caught on the clips in the hull.
I nearly lost my drive over the side getting it off but I succeeded and lo and behold after collecting the slack the fish was still there. By now bringing it aboard was little trouble so I lifted it in just long enough to measure it against my rod and admire it momentarily before watching it swim away.
I sat back and shouted for joy a couple of times before paddling in for the night.

When I got home I measured where it reached on the rod and it would have been around 75cm.

Sorry for the wordy, pictureless report, hope you enjoyed it anyway.

Cheers
Joel